Monday, August 3, 2015

The Humble Server
An Interview with Torri Schaffer


“I believe in working hard, being fair, and staying positive. When you put these three actions into play everything else just falls into place. It’s how I became successful in this profession.”
-Torri Schaffer

Prompt. Professional. Efficient. Effective. This is the company message accentuated by Torri’s Legal Services.


That’s what Torri Schaffer, owner of the 25-year Maryland-based process serving company, inhabits as her everyday philosophy. Such decorous qualities grant this professional a thriving career, a happy family, loving relationships, and a solid sense of self.

As current Vice President and founding member of the Mid-Atlantic Association of Professional Process Servers (MAAPPS), Torri continuously strives to provide members with the most up-to-date information concerning legislation, focusing in the regional locations of Maryland, Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Delaware. Her ceaseless efforts to advocate and devote her time and dedication to ensure that voices are heard throughout local and state legislatures is a valued endeavor in the process serving profession as a whole.


This award-winning entrepreneur and former Board member of the National Association of Professional Process Servers (NAPPS) helped enact many major and positive changes in the rules for the Service of Process in her local metropolitan area. I was elated to talk with this inspiring woman whom, despite industry prominence and notoriety, demonstrates a life of modesty and humility.

I know you’ll enjoy getting to know this humble server as she shares her philosophy which is to work hard, be honest, stay positive, and maintain integrity.





Parsippany Howard: Which three words best describe you?

Torri Schaffer: Honest – Fair – Positive. This also describes my best philosophy toward work. I believe in working hard, being fair, and staying positive. When you put these three actions into play, everything else just falls into place. It’s how I became successful in this profession.

PH: Who has inspired you in your life and why?

TS: Irving Botwinick. He’s the President and founder of Serving by Irving in New York City. already had about 20 years’ worth of experienced by the time I got started. Irving has been a great mentor and has taught me everything I know about surviving in this profession. Irving is a big support on education and training. He’s been my support since the very beginning.

PH: How do you motivate others?

TS: By being helpful and knowledgeable. My professional and personal experiences are always worth sharing when I know others can benefit.

PH: How would your clients describe you?

TS: Knowledgeable. Direct. I don’t believe in feeding my clients a bunch of deceptions so I’m always plain-spoken and candid. I provide quality service to my clients, if I can’t follow through on a need, I’m honest and upfront about it. My clients know this about me.

PH: How do you define success and how do you measure up to your own definition?

TS: Hard work and doing the right thing. My diligence and exertion is what made my business a success. It’s what made ‘me’ a success…as a person…as a woman. I’m not afraid of difficult labor or long hours – I just do whatever it takes to get things done.

PH: What do colleagues say is your best quality?

TS: Being direct. Everyone I work with can attest to my sincerity and candidness. Even my family and friends know they can expect me to be outspoken and open and honest about everything.

PH:
What does family mean to you? How were you able to balance your work and family as a single mom?

TS: I’ve always been passionate about being a good mom. It was very difficult starting my own business after my husband left. I found myself alone with two children – with no money or support. I remember working downtown in Washington, DC and the many challenges that came with traveling back and forth, getting stuck in extremely heavy traffic, or even inclement weather. There was always so many snow days. I hated not being home to spend time with my children. It didn’t take long for me to realize that my children had to come first. That’s when I decided to work from home, so Torri’s Legal Services became headquartered from my residence. I was the first face my children saw when they left and when they came home from school. They didn’t always find that a good thing, but in the end, they realized the sacrifice I made to love, support, and be there for them no matter what. We were always able to spend time together and share a lot of laughter and even more tears. I believe they respected my profession – they actually learned to understand my job and even worked for me when they came of age. 

PH: What is the title of one of the last books you read? Tell me how you related to one of the characters. 

TS: I like reading the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. All of them have a bunch of short stories that tell about other people’s experiences. They are so inspirational and motivational. I think I relate to so many of the experiences in all of the different books I’ve read because these are real people who turn their negatives into positives. That’s totally me. No matter what challenges I have, I always try to look on the bright side and find the good. 

PH: Would you rather be liked or respected? How do you think you’re primarily viewed in this industry? Why? 
TS: Respected. People tend to look up to individuals they respect. There’s like a sense of esteem and admiration viewed. And this is what I like receiving from people and I really do believe that’s how I’m viewed in this profession by my clients. I believe my clients see me as a direct person. I conduct an honest and fair business and I am knowledgeable and experienced in my profession. I feel that I am good at what I do and my clients see that because I don’t change from who I am personally or professionally. I try to remain sincere and straightforward – always.

PH: Tell me about an accomplishment you are most proud of during your career.

TS: Starting MAAPPS. It stands for the Mid-Atlantic Association of Professional Process Servers. I co-founded this organization because I saw a need to have a community where process servers could have a credible resource of information about the profession, come together and network, share together, and learn from each other.

PH: I know you were a past president and founding member of the Mid- Atlantic Association of Professional Process Servers (MAAPPS). Tell me how you first got involved with this Association?

TS: Well it was initially recommended by NAPPS. This is the national association for every state…The National Association of Professional Process Servers. I felt there was a need in our area and we had their support to get it off the ground. I just wanted to have a place for all of the friendly competitors, so we could help each other’s businesses and do a good job in the profession.

PH: What do you wish other people knew about MAAPPS?

TS: That we are a professional organization and you have input. We want your voice to be heard. This is a credible place to learn from one another and meet others who can share your experiences.

PH: How would you describe some of the people you've met while working in MAAPPS?

TS: Definitely surprised or shocked that I’m a real person and very down-to-earth. I sometimes think there is a misconception of me out there that I’m not approachable or that I might be pretentious and self-important because of my success and notoriety. When I’ve met other process servers, individuals and company owners, they find I’m actually the complete opposite. They find that I’m very giving and forthcoming and that I just want everyone to succeed in this profession. Over the years I’ve met a lot of individual apprentices like Scott Singleton or start-up companies like Kaundre Judicial Services, where I’ve had the opportunity to mentor and become a trusted advisor to help with their personal and professional growth and development in the profession, allowing them to become successful and distinguishable names as process servers.

PH:
What would you say are some of your strongest beliefs about MAAPPS?

TS: We are about education and sharing true and accurate information about the law, rules and regulations about our profession and the ever changing legislation that we must constantly fight to remain credible. We are about ethical and professional behavior of process servers. It should be known and understood that we are professionals that have the skills and experience to serve legal documents in timely and affordable manner and, more importantly, serve them in accordance with the local and state process serving laws. We are here to look out for our own and provide training, support, and knowledge to every member. 


PH: Tell me about someone who has influenced your decision to work with MAAPPS?

TS: John Perez. He’s former president at NAPPS with over 20 years of experience. John has always gone above and beyond what was expected. He’s passionate about educational programs for associations, supportive of fighting legislation, and helped define our industry as a ‘profession’. His compassion and encouragement to start the MAAPPS organization is deeply valued. Just knowing we share a common desire to advocate for the education of process servers keeps me dedicated.

PH:
What do you think will change about the process serving industry over the next five years?

TS:
Technology. Definitely. For instance, we now have a few courts in Maryland and in the District of Columbia, e-filing and electronic service of process is already in progress. I predict an increase in use of smart phones and GPS technology to assist with some of the daily duties of process servers.

PH: Will you share something no one else knows about you?

TS: I ride a motorcycle. I own my own bike and I’ve been riding for about 3 ½ years. People often think because I am a professional that it doesn’t suit me. Little do they know this is one of my greatest pleasures. And also I’m a huge Philadelphia Phillies fan – they are my absolute favorite baseball team.

PH:
Who is Torri Schaffer when she’s not being a professional entrepreneur or
representing the process serving industry?

TS: Well, now you know I’m an avid rider and devoted Phillies fan. I love sports. I’m an active volunteer for multiple charities. Family time is a must – I have my kids, both adults now living on their own. And there’s my mother who lives in the area so I get to spend some treasured time with her. We can’t forget about my precious dog, Lacy – she comes to work with me every day. No, I’m not single – I’ve been in a committed relationship with an incredible man now for five years. Although I have no grandchildren of my own, I’ve adopted his four. They are unequivocally one of my greatest joys in life and I adore every minute we spend together. All in all I’ve had a nice life, a wonderful family, amazing friends, and great people who’ve all made a difference in my life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment